Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day 2: Sloppy Lentils

For breakfast I made muffins...that the kids won't eat. But Rob and I really liked them. Here is the original recipe, and then my modification in parenthetical and italics.

Double Strawberry Jam Muffins
Adapted from this Prudent Baby recipe.

Prep Time: 10 mins Cooking Time: 15 to 20 mins

Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour (1 C whole wheat flour)
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (standard whole wheat flour will work too)
1/3 cup sugar (1/4 C honey)
1 tablespoon baking powder
pinch of salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil (1/3 C coconut oil and 1/3 C applesauce)
1/2 cup strawberry yogurt (1/2 C buttermilk...cuz I didn't have yogurt)
strawberry jelly or jam

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine dry ingredients and whisk together. Combine yogurt, oil and eggs in a measuring cup and beat together with a fork. Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Grease a muffin tin and fill each cup 1/2 way. Make a little divot with your finger and scoop jam in (1 1/2 teaspoons). Cover jam with more batter and then smooth out with your finger. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool and then use a butter knife to loosen and lift out muffins. Makes makes regular sized muffins.

The muffin is actually a bit boring. Think I will add a bit of cinnamon or vanilla next time. Also, I think these would be awesome as a PB&J muffin. I will try that later next week. Will make a great snack for after gymnastics.

For dinner it is meatless Wednesday. I am making sloppy lentils.



The kids ate some. Rob and I would eat them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment